Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1/2 pound uncooked beef liver
- 1 large onion, cut into eighths
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground sage, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 egg whites
- 1 egg yolk
- 5 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- In a food processor, combine the liver, onion, salt, 1 teaspoon sage, coriander, basil and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; cover and process until smooth. Add the flour, baking powder, egg whites and yolk; process until well mixed. Batter should be thick and spoonable. (Add a little water if too thick or a little flour if too thin.) Set batter aside.
- In a 5-qt. Dutch oven, combine the broth, cornstarch and remaining sage and pepper; bring to a rolling boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to a gentle boil. Drop batter by heaping teaspoonfuls onto broth, dipping spoon in broth to release dough. Gently boil, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until dumplings are no longer sticky. Stir occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 215 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 102mg cholesterol, 425mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 10g protein.
Oct 31, 2017
Oct 15, 2017
I had never heard of such a thing as liver dumplings, so I was intrigued. My spouse and I both love beef liver, but I wasn't sure how this would go over. He proclaimed it a definite winner! Fairly simple to make, I probably made it harder and messier because of my unfamiliarity with the dish. It makes a lot, so next time I will work out how to halve the recipe. Very tasty, hearty, and filling for a cool Autumn night!
Feb 22, 2010
My austrian mother in law makes something very close but it is much more work - the grinder is too much work, but a small food processor in batches gave the same result. I really liked it but would omit the coriander next time and substitute marjoram. I made my dumplings tiny not large but loved it very much!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.