Chicken and Dumplings
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-2/3 cups reduced-fat biscuit/baking mix
- 2/3 cup fat-free milk
- In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, cook and stir celery and carrots over medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in broth, chicken and seasonings. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a gentle simmer.
- For dumplings, mix biscuit mix and milk until a soft dough forms. Drop by tablespoonfuls on top of the simmering liquid. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook until a toothpick inserted in dumplings comes out clean (do not lift cover during the first 10 minutes), 10-15 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 260 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 964mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 27g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 7, 2019
This is the chicken and dumplings I grew up with. I don't want those flat, gummy things others call dumplings. Love this recipe. Thanks for sharing.
Jan 6, 2019
A whole lot easier than the chicken and dumplings my grandmother made. It took me 5 years to get her recipe right. The only difference is I add milk or half and half to the broth after it is done. I prefer the milky broth to the clear.
Jul 8, 2018
This recipe looks great but the dumplings at the Cracker Barrel in Tulsa don't look like this--they are flat.
Jun 28, 2018
Very good! The only change I made was to cook the dumplings uncovered over low heat 10 minutes then cover and cook 10 minutes longer as instructions on my biscuit mix instructed. This makes sure the dumplings are done and tender. It also thickens the sauce a bit.
Jun 2, 2018
Absolutely delicious and soooo easy! The leftovers thickened up in the fridge, so it was even better the next day. I can't wait to make it again!
Feb 4, 2018
I used frozen mixed veggies. It was good. I think the sauce should be thickened. The dumplings should be flipped when firm so the other side cooks.
Jan 26, 2018
Easy and delicious. Will make again.
Jan 11, 2018
Made this for the first time....thought there would be leftovers....and not one drop left...big hit with my family..thank you for sharing.... next time I will double the recipe. :)
Jan 8, 2018
I haven't tried this recipe yet, I gave it 5 stars, because this is the Chicken and Dumplings I remember as a kid. Not Chicken and Noodles, as so many call Dumplings now. I will be making soon, since we're in the middle of Winter. Thank you for sharing.
Jan 3, 2018
it was very good, i cut recipe in half as there is only two of us. I wasnt sure what to expect so I was a little surprised to find it as "soupy" as it was, just thought it would have been a little thicker but still very good