Korean Beef and Rice
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2-2/3 cups hot cooked brown rice
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- In a large skillet, cook beef and garlic over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix brown sugar, soy sauce, oil and seasonings.
- Stir sauce into beef; heat through. Serve with rice. Sprinkle with green onions. Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup beef mixture with 2/3 cup rice: 413 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 647mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 3g fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 21, 2018
I doubled the sauce on this and it was fantastic. Even my picky husband liked it!
Sep 25, 2018
My family loved this dish! Such an easy weeknight meal! I used 2 lbs of ground beef and tripled the sauce. Also threw in some leftover steamed broccoli that I had in the fridge. I can see using snow peas in this dish too. Served it over jasmine rice. Will definitely make again!
Jul 30, 2018
I made this when it was first printed in 2015, but my review is not here!!! I've made this delicious recipe often since then. I do add extra veggies...julienned tri-color peppers, carrots, bean sprouts..., but I keep the seasonings the same. Definitely a keeper!
Jul 24, 2018
I made this for lunch and it's delicious! The only difference I made was using white rice, because I already had it in my pantry. I will make this again.
Jul 5, 2018
Very good! I served it over cilantro lime rice, and added 1/2 bag of coleslaw mix to meat mixture and cooked slightly. Added a little fiber, nutritional value, and stretched the recipe a bit.
Jun 27, 2018
Made this for my family on a whim as a quick dinner was needed one night and we all LOVED it. It is in regular rotation now!
Jun 10, 2018
I made this tonight and loved it! I am going to use leftovers for lettuce wraps.
Jun 9, 2018
Followed the suggestions and doubled the sauce, I let it cook down too much so next time I'll simmer it less or even triple the sauce. We liked it with the ground beef but I think it would be very good with cubed chicken too.
May 18, 2018
I added a bag of frozen stir fry veggies, everyone loved it!
May 11, 2018
I’ve made authentic bulgogi with wonderful results, but I was thrilled to discover this quick version. This might not be quite as tasty as my more complicated recipe, but my husband and I both really enjoyed it and it couldn’t be easier. I am going to make this recipe part of my repertoire and I plan to share it with my three busy daughters who are always looking for recipes that are delicious and easy. I didn’t have any scallions so I substituted garlic chives that are growing in pots on my deck. I also added half of a red onion because I had it in my refrigerator. Thank you, Betsy, for sharing this recipe!