Easy Portuguese-Style Bean Soup
One day I was looking at Portuguese recipes and decided to put together a bean soup that embraced the bright and spicy flavors of Portugal. My family liked it so much, it became a classic in our household. To save time and work, the sausage, vegetables and herbs can all be handled in minutes with a food processor. —Steven Vance, Woodland, Washington
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 7 hours
- 4 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 pound linguica sausage or smoked sausage, thinly sliced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 large sweet red pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 cup dry white wine or additional chicken stock
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 orange zest strip (3 inches)
- 1 lemon zest strip (3 inches)
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried savory
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- Place the first 20 ingredients in a 7-qt. slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low until vegetables are tender, 7-9 hours. Remove bay leaves, orange and lemon zest strips.
- Transfer 4 cups soup to a blender; cool slightly. Cover; process until smooth. Return to slow cooker; add green onions, cilantro and parsley. Heat through.
- Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 235 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 893mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 7g fiber), 14g protein.
Originally published as Easy Portuguese-Style Bean Soup in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2019
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.