Mexican Egg Casserole
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 12 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 2 cups (16 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Salsa, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the flour and baking powder. Add the eggs, 3-1/2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, cottage cheese, tomatoes, chilies, onions, hot pepper sauce, oregano, cilantro, salt and pepper. Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining Monterey Jack cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 30 minutes longer or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Serve with salsa if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 421 calories, 27g fat (15g saturated fat), 382mg cholesterol, 856mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 31g protein.
Feb 17, 2018
Made this for family night and my family loved it.
Dec 18, 2017
Created an account just to rate this! AMAZING recipe. Simple, quick, but flavorful. I forgot to add the flour and baking powder but in my opinion the casserole is still fabulous without it. So excited I found this!
Nov 11, 2017
I just realized that I have made this recipe 6-8 times & have never submitted a review. I LOVE this recipe. The flavor & texture are amazing. I usually make this for a ladies brunch. I serve it with a side of mango / medium salsa & sour cream. I will continue to make this over & over!
Sep 29, 2017
Very good! I will be making it again. Served with sausage patties on the side for those needing some meat.
Aug 6, 2017
I made half this recipe for 2 of us and it would have served 6. i made it in an 8x8 baking dish maybe a 7x11 would be better. REALLY good especially topped with salsa. Pretty easy to put together. I used more cheese on the topping, 2% cottage cheese, a whole can of chilies, double the hot sauce, and oregano. Oven time: 400 for 15 minutes; 20 minutes at 350. I put the topping cheese on when i turned the heat to 350.
Jul 19, 2016
While my sister was in Mexico with her husband visiting relatives of his, they barely cooked their eggs dishes, which my sister thought was gross. She obligingly cooked one longer and received lots of grumbles and frowns; otherwise, it was quite enjoyable to learn their culture. Dish is delicious. Thanks
Dec 19, 2014
Can this casserole be made the day before and baked in the morning?
Jun 2, 2014
I left out the hot pepper sauce but this was a very tasteful dish and my son loved it!! I think the combination of cheeses made this a winner in our book.
Feb 5, 2014
Always enjoy this one
Dec 14, 2011
This casserole has been on our Christmas morning breakfast menu for years. Everybody loves it, especially with a side of salsa and mimosas!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.