Slow-Cooker Chicken Enchilada Melts
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
- 1 envelope reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 4 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 12 diagonally sliced French bread slices (1 inch thick)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Sliced ripe olives and additional chopped tomatoes, optional
- In a greased 3-qt. slow cooker, combine chicken, salsa and taco seasoning. Cook, covered, on low until chicken is tender, 4-5 hours.
- To serve, preheat broiler. Shred chicken with two forks; stir in tomatoes and cilantro.
- Place bread on ungreased baking sheets; broil 2-3 in. from heat until tops are lightly browned. Using tongs, place rounded 1/3 cup chicken mixture on each toast. Sprinkle with cheese. Broil until cheese is melted, 2-3 minutes. If desired, top with olives and additional tomatoes.
Freeze option: Cool chicken mixture without tomatoes and cilantro; freeze in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally; stir in tomatoes and cilantro and serve as directed.
Nutrition Facts2 open-faced sandwiches: 377 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 81mg cholesterol, 1082mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 32g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 7, 2017
This is the best enchiladas that I made and it turned out so good with this recipe.
Dec 7, 2017
The chicken mixture was good but several in our family commented it was a weird combination on the bread. Honestly, I would have preferred it in a tortilla myself but it was a texture issue for me. The middle of the bread was soggy but the outer part was crunchy.
Sep 26, 2017
I think the whole jar of salsa may have been too much. At least in my experience. My bread was soggy in the middle. Other than that, it had a lot of flavor!