Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Melts
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
- 1 envelope reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 4 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 12 diagonally sliced French bread slices (1 inch thick)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Sliced ripe olives and additional chopped tomatoes, optional
- In a greased 3-qt. slow cooker, combine chicken, salsa and taco seasoning. Cook, covered, on low until chicken is tender, 4-5 hours.
- To serve, preheat broiler. Shred chicken with two forks; stir in tomatoes and cilantro.
- Place bread on ungreased baking sheets; broil 2-3 in. from heat until tops are lightly browned. Using tongs, place rounded 1/3 cup chicken mixture on each toast. Sprinkle with cheese. Broil until cheese is melted, 2-3 minutes. If desired, top with olives and additional tomatoes.Freeze option: Cool chicken mixture without tomatoes and cilantro; freeze in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally; stir in tomatoes and cilantro and serve as directed.
Nutrition Facts2 open-faced sandwiches: 377 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 81mg cholesterol, 1082mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 32g protein.
Dec 7, 2017
This is the best enchiladas that I made and it turned out so good with this recipe.
Dec 7, 2017
The chicken mixture was good but several in our family commented it was a weird combination on the bread. Honestly, I would have preferred it in a tortilla myself but it was a texture issue for me. The middle of the bread was soggy but the outer part was crunchy.
Sep 26, 2017
I think the whole jar of salsa may have been too much. At least in my experience. My bread was soggy in the middle. Other than that, it had a lot of flavor!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.