Cuban Sandwich Burgers
My mom would make this Cuban burger recipe when we used to visit her in Florida. They are a take on the real Cuban sandwich. My kids loved them—my boys could eat two of these monsters in one sitting. —Marina Castle Kelley, Canyon Country, California
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 4 hamburger buns, split
- 8 thin slices Swiss cheese
- 4 thin slices deli ham
- 4 thin sandwich pickle slices
- Prepare grill for medium heat. Place a large cast-iron skillet on grill grates.
- In a large bowl, combine beef, pork, lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Shape into 4 1/2-in.-thick patties. Grill burgers, covered, over medium heat until a thermometer reads 160°, 5-7 minutes on each side.
- Combine mayonnaise, mustard, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; spread over cut sides of rolls. Place burgers on each roll bottom; top with Swiss cheese, ham, pickles and roll tops. Using oven mitts, carefully place preheated skillet on sandwiches. Grill sandwiches, covered, until rolls are browned and cheese is melted, 5-8 minutes.