Cuban Roasted Pork Sandwiches
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + marinating Bake: 3-1/2 hours + grilling
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (5 to 6 pounds)
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 loaves (1 pound each) French bread
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 to 1 cup yellow mustard
- 24 thin sandwich pickle slices
- 2-1/4 pounds sliced deli ham
- 2-1/4 pounds Swiss cheese, sliced
- Cut sixteen 1-in. slits in pork; insert garlic slices. In a large bowl, combine the onions, orange juice, lime juice and seasonings. Pour 1-1/2 cups marinade into another large bowl; add pork and turn to coat with marinade. Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight, turning pork occasionally. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- Drain pork, discarding drained marinade. Place pork and reserved marinade in a shallow roasting pan. Bake at 350° until tender, 3-1/2 to 4 hours, basting occasionally. Let stand for 15 minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile, cut each loaf of bread in half lengthwise; flatten slightly. Spread cut side with butter; spread crust side with mustard. Cut pork into thin slices. Layer pickles, pork, ham and cheese over the mustard. Replace tops so buttered side is outward. Cut each loaf into sixths.
- Cook in batches on a panini maker or indoor grill for 4-5 minutes or until bread is browned and cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 590 calories, 27g fat (15g saturated fat), 119mg cholesterol, 1206mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 39g protein.
Oct 6, 2019
Followed the recipe exactly. At 3 hours the marinade had cooked away and was charred. Moved the pork to a new pan, added 1/2” of water and covered with foil. Cooked another hour. The flavor is good and the pork is tender, but could have been a disaster. Wondering if there’s a misprint in the recipe.