Mom’s Dynamite Sandwiches
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 1 hour 20 min.
- 2-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 5 medium green peppers, finely chopped
- 4 large onions, chopped (6 cups)
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1 can (16 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 16 hoagie buns or other sandwich rolls, split
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium-high heat 8-10 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain.
- Stir in all remaining ingredients except buns. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 1 hour or until desired consistency and flavors are blended, stirring occasionally. Serve on buns.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 414 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 1003mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 5g fiber), 24g protein.
Jul 26, 2016
Kathy, thank you for posting this Dynamites recipe! I grew up in Woonsocket, RI and this dish was present at all kinds of events throughout my childhood. Now living in the Midwest, I am making Dynamites for the first time. It is such a simple process to make these, thank you for sharing your version. This is a unique part of Northern Rhode Island culture.
Jul 21, 2014
Oh my, craftyroger, that is nothing like the recipe posted. I'm from Woonsocket, RI also, like the poster. The recipe posted is all cooked together to make sort of a sauce that's served on crusty rolls. They are delicious! Wish I could post a pic to show how they look all put together.
Feb 7, 2014
Great and easy recipe. I tweeked it though using the ground beef and adding garlic and onion powder, wistashear sauce italian bread crumbs eggs and rolled them into a hotdog like meatball. Cooked them in oven then added them to the sauce to simmer away. Also the sauce is a simple larg e can of Hunts tomoto sauce with garlic and onion powder, chile powder, small amount of pepper flakes salt pepper and sugar. Youll want to make these all the time. For exact ingrediants email me.