Mom’s Fried Fish
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups crushed saltines (about 45 crackers)
- 2 pounds whitefish fillets, cut in half lengthwise
- Oil for frying
- TARTAR SAUCE:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- Place eggs and cracker crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Dip fillets into eggs, then coat with crumbs. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry fillets, a few at a time, for 2 minutes on each side or until fish is golden brown and flakes easily with a fork. Drain on paper towels.
- In a small bowl, combine the tartar sauce ingredients. Serve with fish.
Jun 24, 2018
I followed this Recipe to the letter, I agree with others here, it's a very plain, bland recipe, I'm really surprised how it's such a Family hit, I added Salt, pepper, Garlic Powder and a little Old bay seasonings, then I coated in Panko bread crumbs and then Fried them lightly browned and then rolled them in egg wash again, and then in a Mix of Flour
May 25, 2017
Recipe great adding a little seasoning (of your choice) but I love my tarter sauce with dill relish instead of sweet. Try it it's gr8
Feb 20, 2015
Basic white fish does need some help. Without seasoning in the dry ingredients, it would be hard to satisfy my deep South friends and family. So many other batter fry recipes out there, that this one would get lost in the flavor factor.
Nov 28, 2014
This recipe turned out great! I added curry seasoning to the crackers which tasted great! I fried mine in a deep fryer super crispy but not oily.
Sep 27, 2014
I used whole wheat saltines and cod fish. Wow was this ever delicious fish. I have to admit next time I will add a tiny bit of salt to the crackers because I think it needs a touch of salt. But other than that, oh my delicious! So was the tarter sauce. Yummy!
Aug 11, 2014
I used whole wheat saltines and this recipe came out so good. The golden brown crust was beautiful and delicious. I like swai so that was the fish I used.
Aug 27, 2012
I couldn't imagine making this without any seasoning, so I used some old bay and seasoned the egg mixture. Made excellent fish sandwiches.
Oct 9, 2011
This is the first time I have ever made fish. My six year old loved it and he is a very picky eater. This is a great recipe
Jun 30, 2008
da61, whitefish is flavorful enough that it doesn't require much in the way of seasoning. I'd serve this with lemon wedges and some grindings of pepper. Strongly-flavored herbs and/or spices would totally obliterate the delicate flavor of the fish.
Jun 24, 2008
Where's the seasoning in the fish. I can't imagine it having any flavor.