Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 10 uncooked bratwurst links
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) beer or 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup honey barbecue sauce
- 10 hot dog buns, split
- Spicy brown mustard
- Grill bratwursts, covered, on an oiled rack over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 10 minutes, turning frequently. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- In a large bowl, mix the beer, ketchup and barbecue sauce; pour over the bratwursts. Cook, covered, on low until cooked through, 3-4 hours. Place bratwursts on buns. Serve with mustard and, if desired, cooking liquid.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 480 calories, 27g fat (9g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 1659mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 1g fiber), 16g protein.
Apr 19, 2020
Loved this recipe! I browned the bratwurst first in a skillet on the stovetop, rather than grilling them. I was not sure about the flavor combination of bratwurst and barbecue sauce, but it worked! I also added some sauteed onions to the slow cooker at the beginning and really enjoyed this addition.
Jun 10, 2019
My older brother made this for the Memorial Day. Yummy. I mean yummy.
Jul 19, 2018
I thought this was a fun twist on our usual summer bratwurst cookout. Typically, we grill them and then put them in a beer bath but I thought I'd try something new for our annual family potluck. I'll be honest, there were two people who were upset I didn't make the same recipe we've made for over 50 years but everyone else loved them. It's a great way to not have to man the grill when everyone is over and having fun.
Jun 21, 2018
I love bratwurst and I decided to make them different from the beer, garlic, onion, sautee and grill method I always use but this is not the way to do it. I did not care for the taste or texture of this recipe. I think I'll stick with my tried-and-true method.