Brats in Beer
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + marinating Grill: 15 min.
- 1 can (12 ounces) beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 Johnsonville® Original Brats
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 8 brat or hot dog buns, split
- In a small bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Pour 1-3/4 cups into a large resealable plastic bag; add bratwurst. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- Add onion to remaining marinade; toss to coat. Place on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 18 in. square). Fold foil around onion mixture and seal tightly. Drain and discard marinade from bratwurst.
- Grill bratwurst and onion, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 15-20 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and onion is tender, turning frequently. Open foil carefully to allow steam to escape. Serve brats in buns with onion mixture.
Jul 29, 2015
You really can't go wrong with grilled brats. This recipe did enhance the flavor greatly with the simple and easy marinadr. Yum!
Jan 28, 2015
I am preparing a menu for Super Bowl and I tested three different brat marinades. This one won hands down! I thought the full tablespoon of chili powder might be too much but went with it and found it to be the perfect amount; just a hint of kick. To cook, I poured the marinade in a pot along with enough additional beer to cover brats and brought to boil for 10 minutes then transferred to the grill to get the char marks. The onions were perfect.
Nov 17, 2013
Wonderful marinade. Brats and onions were great! Will make again soon.
Sep 2, 2013
This is an awesome marinate for the bratwursts :P
Sep 2, 2013
This is an awesome marinate for the bratwurst :P
Jul 4, 2013
So delicious! I have been making these for years and they are a hit with everyone.
Sep 23, 2010
do you grill the brats and onion in the same foil?
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.