Ribs, Sauerkraut and Dumplings
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 1 hour 50 min.
- 3 pounds pork spareribs or country-style pork ribs, cut into serving-size pieces
- 1 can (27 ounces) sauerkraut, undrained
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- Paprika, optional
- Place ribs in a 3-qt. baking dish. In a bowl, combine sauerkraut, water, brown sugar and caraway seeds; spoon over ribs. Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours. In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Beat egg and milk; add to the dry ingredients and stir with a fork just until combined. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto hot sauerkraut mixture. Cover and return to the oven for 20 minutes. If desired, garnish with parsley and/or paprika.
Nutrition Facts8 ounce-weight: 635 calories, 35g fat (13g saturated fat), 169mg cholesterol, 1236mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 39g protein.
Nov 8, 2012
the meat and sauerkraut were nice. the dumplings-a disaster.
Dec 17, 2010
It was quick and easy, however, I browned each rib on all sides, before I put them in the casserole dish. I'll make this again for sure.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.