Ribs, Sauerkraut and Dumplings
My grandmother gave me this recipe 40 years ago. It was a favorite at all our family gatherings and church socials. Today my children are grown and off on their own, but whenever they come home to visit, they still ask me to prepare this memorable family dinner!
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour 50 min.
- 3 pounds pork spareribs or country-style pork ribs, cut into serving-size pieces
- 1 can (27 ounces) sauerkraut, undrained
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- Paprika, optional
- Place ribs in a 3-qt. baking dish. In a bowl, combine sauerkraut, water, brown sugar and caraway seeds; spoon over ribs. Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours. In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Beat egg and milk; add to the dry ingredients and stir with a fork just until combined. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto hot sauerkraut mixture. Cover and return to the oven for 20 minutes. If desired, garnish with parsley and/or paprika.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 639 calories, 35g fat (13g saturated fat), 164mg cholesterol, 1249mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 5g fiber), 39g protein.
Nov 8, 2012
the meat and sauerkraut were nice. the dumplings-a disaster.
Dec 17, 2010
It was quick and easy, however, I browned each rib on all sides, before I put them in the casserole dish. I'll make this again for sure.