Beef Roast with Cranberry Gravy
I can easily get this robust recipe ready in the morning and let it cook all day so that it's ready for dinner when I get home at night. The hearty beef dish is also good for the weekends when we want to spend time outdoors or on day trips.—Diane Nemitz, Ludington, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 7 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup cranberry juice
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Brown roast on all sides. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- Add carrots and onion to drippings; cook and stir over medium heat 4-5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Spoon vegetables around roast; add cranberry juice, 3/4 cup water, cranberries, vinegar, thyme and bay leaf. Cook, covered, on low 7-9 hours or until meat is tender.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove roast and vegetables to a serving platter; keep warm. Pour cooking juices into a small saucepan; skim fat. Discard thyme and bay leaf. Bring cooking juices to a boil. Mix cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into pan. Return to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with roast.