Pressure Cooker Caribbean Pot Roast
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 55 min. + releasing
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2-1/2 pounds), halved
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cubed
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 3/4 teaspoon baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Select saute or browning setting on a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker. Adjust for medium heat; add 1-1/2 teaspoons oil. When oil is hot, brown a roast half on all sides. Remove; repeat with remaining beef and oil.
- Add water to pressure cooker. Cook 30 seconds, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Press cancel. Place sweet potatoes, carrots, onion and celery in pressure cooker; top with beef. Combine remaining ingredients; pour over top.
- Lock lid; close pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure-cook on high for 55 minutes. Let pressure release naturally. A thermometer inserted in beef should read at least 145°. Freeze option: Place pot roast and vegetables in freezer containers; top with cooking juices. Cool and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a covered saucepan, stirring gently and adding a little water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts3 ounces cooked beef with 1/2 cup vegetable mixture : 282 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 442mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Dec 23, 2019
This was truly an exceptional recipe that goes right to the top of the list of my favorites. One modification I made was I actually added some Mexican chocolate that already has some cinnamon in it and just used a little bit of the cocoa though the rest I followed almost exactly. This is very aromatic with lots of eye appeal and a really delectable, savory flavor with just a touch of sweetness.
Dec 18, 2019
Fantastic! A wonderful mix of spices for a very flavorful roast. The sweet potatoes are a nice change from white potatoes.
Jun 4, 2019