Pressure Cooker Coffee Beef Roast
Coffee is the key to this flavorful beef roast that simmers until it's fall-apart tender. Try it once, and I'm sure you'll cook it again. —Charles Trahan, San Dimas, California
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 55 min. + releasing
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 beef sirloin tip roast (2-1/2 pounds), halved
- 1-1/2 cups brewed coffee
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/3 cup cold water
- Select saute or browning setting on a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker. Adjust for medium heat; add 1 teaspoon oil. When oil is hot, brown a roast half on all sides. Remove; repeat with remaining beef and oil. Add coffee to pressure cooker. Cook 1 minute, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Press cancel. Add mushrooms, green onions, garlic, liquid smoke if desired, salt, chili powder, pepper and beef.
- Lock lid; close pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure-cook on high for 50 minutes. Let pressure release naturally. A thermometer inserted in beef should read at least 145°. Press cancel.
- Remove roast and vegetables to a serving platter; tent with foil. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Reserve 2 cups cooking juices; discard remaining juices. Transfer back to pressure cooker. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into pressure cooker. Select saute setting and adjust for low heat. Simmer, stirring constantly, until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Serve with roast and vegetables. Freeze option: Place sliced pot roast and vegetables in freezer containers; top with sauce. Cool and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a covered saucepan, stirring gently and adding a little water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts5 ounces cooked beef: 281 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 120mg cholesterol, 261mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 39g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Slow-Cooked Coffee Beef Roast in Skinny Instant Pot