Pressure-Cooker Beef Stew
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 50 min. + cooling
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 5 cups water, divided
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 4 medium carrots, halved widthwise
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Select saute or browning setting on a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker. Adjust for medium heat; add oil. When oil is hot, brown roast on all sides. Press cancel and remove roast. Place trivet insert and 4 cups water in pressure cooker. Set roast on trivet. Lock lid; close pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure-cook on high for 40 minutes. Let pressure release naturally.
- Remove roast and keep warm. Remove trivet. Skim fat from cooking juices and stir in remaining 1 cup water. Add potatoes, carrots, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, thyme, bay leaves. Lock lid; close pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure-cook on high for 8 minutes. Quick-release pressure.
- Remove vegetables with a slotted spoon; keep warm. Remove and discard bay leaves. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and 1/4 cup cold water until smooth; stir into pressure cooker. Select saute setting and adjust for low heat. Simmer, stirring constantly, until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Serve with roast and vegetables.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 530 calories, 17g fat (6g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 403mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 8g fiber), 36g protein.
Nov 18, 2015
This is a pot roast (not a stew), with that being said, it is a great recipe. Made exactly by the recipe except for cooking time. I thought 40 min. for a 2 bound roast was a bit long so I cooked it for 25 min. and it came out fall apart tender. This is a keeper.
Mar 30, 2010
I'd call this a pot roast, not a stew. Also, the minimum size of the pressure cooker would be appreciated.
May 31, 2009
can you can in a pressure cooker. It is an 8 qt.