Pressure Cooker Beef Daube Provencal
My dish is perfect on chilly nights, especially after we have been out chopping wood. The melt-in-your-mouth goodness makes it a staple in my menu rotation. —Brenda Ryan, Marshall, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 30 min. + releasing
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast or venison roast (about 2 pounds), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper, divided
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 12 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Dash ground cloves
- Hot cooked pasta or mashed potatoes
- Sprinkle beef with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Select saute or browning setting on a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker. Adjust for medium heat; add oil. When oil is hot, brown beef in batches.
- Add carrots, onions and garlic to pressure cooker; cook and stir until golden brown, 4-6 minutes. Add tomato paste; cook and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits. Return beef to pressure cooker. Add tomatoes, broth, rosemary, thyme, bay leaf, cloves and remaining 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Press cancel.
- Lock lid; close pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure-cook on high for 30 minutes. Let pressure release naturally for 10 minutes; quick-release any remaining pressure. A thermometer inserted in beef should read at least 160°. Discard bay leaf. Serve with hot cooked pasta. If desired, sprinkle with additional thyme. Freeze option: Place beef and vegetables in freezer containers; top with cooking juices. Cool and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a covered saucepan, stirring gently and adding a little broth if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 cup beef mixture: 248 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 652mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Beef Daube Provencal in Skinny Instant Pot