Caramelized Onion Chuck Roast
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 8 hours
Makes4 servings plus leftovers
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup beer or beef broth
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (4 pounds), trimmed
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 large sweet onions, halved and sliced
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients; set aside. Sprinkle roast with onion salt and pepper. In a large skillet, brown meat in oil on all sides. Place onions and roast in a 5-qt. slow cooker; pour beer mixture over top. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast and onions and keep warm. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer 2 cups to a small saucepan. Bring liquid to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve with half of the roast and onions. Save the remaining roast, onions and cooking juices for Vegetable Beef & Barley Soup (recipe also in Recipe Finder) or save for another use.
Nutrition Facts4 ounces cooked beef with 1/4 cup onions and 1/2 cup gravy: 488 calories, 23g fat (9g saturated fat), 147mg cholesterol, 523mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 46g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 3, 2019
Loved it! Cook a 2 3/4 pound roast on high for about 6 hours...it just fell apart, not tough at all! Did not alter the ingredients for the broth it cooked in even though the roast was not a large as the recipe indicated.
Apr 15, 2018
I fixed this for work at my local ambulance service and came home with an empty slow cooker and requests for the recipe. One of the best roasts I have EVER fixed!
Feb 8, 2018
This was amazing! I loved the sweetness of the onions especially in the gravy. We couldn't get enough. I served this with the Mashed Potatoes with Garlic Olive Oil recipe from this site. Delicious!
Oct 8, 2017
Easy recipe. I have made it a few times. I like the onion flavor and the sweetness.
Jun 17, 2017
We all liked it.
Apr 10, 2017
Good but the gravy was a little sweet.
Jul 18, 2015
Simple to make and perfect for summer when it is too hot to turn on the oven.
Aug 26, 2014
To die for...simply to die for. Ok, slight exaggeration, but seriously...good and easy and healthy! Used two cups of beef stock to replace some of the water as another reviewer suggested. (Actually used "better than bouillon" because it has less sodium and taste GREAT). Started with a frozen roast. Didn't brown it. Started on high for a couple of hours and used a meat thermometer to make sure it was cooked through before serving. (Note to former reviewer: Roast beef is pink. You can't tell by color if it is done.) All four of us loved it. Nice and tender, flavorful, ever so slightly sweet. Gravy was yummy. Am making the soup tonight.
Jan 28, 2014
My husband really liked this recipe and it went well with mashed potatoes. The only change we made was using more beef broth instead of water to add extra flavor. I am always looking to add a twist on a classic and this does the trick.
Jan 23, 2012
I liked it and my husband had seconds. This was really easy to put together and texture was perfect. The soup is top notch.