Caramelized Onion-Bacon Burgers
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Grill: 15 min.
- 1/3 cup plus 1/2 cup barbecue sauce, divided
- 1 pound ground beef
- 4 bacon strips, halved
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 hamburger buns, split
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- Place 1/3 cup barbecue sauce in a small bowl. Crumble beef over barbecue sauce and mix well. Shape into four patties.
- In a small skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain. In another skillet, saute onion in 2 tablespoons butter until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Spread buns with remaining butter; set aside. Grill burgers, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear. Top with cheese. Grill 1 minute longer or until cheese is melted.
- Place buns, cut side down, on grill for 1-2 minutes or until toasted. Spread buns with barbecue sauce; serve burgers on buns with onion and bacon.
Nutrition Facts1 burger: 645 calories, 40g fat (20g saturated fat), 137mg cholesterol, 1153mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 2g fiber), 35g protein.
Jun 7, 2013
Made these tonight, and we loved them. I didn't add bbq sauce to the meat (forgot that step) and sauteed the onion in a little bit of the bacon grease and butter. Wonderful. Next time, I'll try bleu cheese instead of cheddar. (my favorite burger from one of my local restaurants)