Caramelized Onion-Bacon Burgers
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Grill: 15 min.
- 1/3 cup plus 1/2 cup barbecue sauce, divided
- 1 pound ground beef
- 4 bacon strips, halved
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 hamburger buns, split
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- Place 1/3 cup barbecue sauce in a small bowl. Crumble beef over barbecue sauce and mix well. Shape into four patties.
- In a small skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain. In another skillet, saute onion in 2 tablespoons butter until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Spread buns with remaining butter; set aside. Grill burgers, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear. Top with cheese. Grill 1 minute longer or until cheese is melted.
- Place buns, cut side down, on grill for 1-2 minutes or until toasted. Spread buns with barbecue sauce; serve burgers on buns with onion and bacon.
Nutrition Facts1 burger: 645 calories, 40g fat (20g saturated fat), 137mg cholesterol, 1153mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 2g fiber), 35g protein.
Jun 7, 2013
Made these tonight, and we loved them. I didn't add bbq sauce to the meat (forgot that step) and sauteed the onion in a little bit of the bacon grease and butter. Wonderful. Next time, I'll try bleu cheese instead of cheddar. (my favorite burger from one of my local restaurants)
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.