Caramelized Port Onions
Whenever possible use fresh rather than frozen pearl onions for this savory side. Pair the sweet and colorful onions with a savory meat entree.—Erika Szymanski, Pullman, Washington
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 2 pounds pearl onions, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup port wine or grape juice
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- In a Dutch oven, bring 6 cups water to a boil. Add onions; return to a boil. Boil 3 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water; peel onions.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions; cook and stir 7-9 minutes or until tender. Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until liquid is almost evaporated.
Originally published as Savory Onion Melange in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.