Caramelized Onion Potato Salad
This is the recipe I make on a day where a little extra time isn't an issue and I'm craving comfort food. The tarragon vinegar and caramelized onions in this salad will leave you smacking your lips. You can serve this potato salad immediately, but it will taste much better after being refrigerated for several hours. Double or triple the recipe if you are making it for a large event. —Colleen Delawder, Herndon, Virginia
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min. + chilling
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, quartered and sliced
- 4 pounds medium red potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 8 cups)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup tarragon vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley or 4 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 cup whole-grain Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute onions until softened, 2-4 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook until deep golden brown, 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, place potatoes, salt and water to cover in a 6-qt. stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, until tender, 10-15 minutes. Drain; place in a large bowl. Add caramelized onions. Cool slightly.
- Mix dressing ingredients; stir gently into potato mixture. Refrigerate, covered, until cold, about 8 hours.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 268 calories, 14g fat (2g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 399mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Tarragon Caramelized Onion Potato Salad in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.