Russian Potato Salad
This Russian potato salad recipe comes from my grandmother, who had written it down in Russian before she translated it for me when I was a teen. We made this every Easter, or for any event where there were family and friends. —Vera McGaughey, Berryville, Virginia
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 10 min. + chilling
- 5 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 8 cups)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) sliced carrots, drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 jars (16 ounces each) pickled whole beets, drained and chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet pickles
- 1/2 cup chopped dill pickles
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, combine sugar and vinegar in a small saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved; pour over hot potatoes. Cool to room temperature.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add carrots and onion; cook and stir until crisp-tender, 6-8 minutes. Add to potatoes. Stir in beets, celery and pickles. Combine mayonnaise, salt and pepper; gently stir into potato mixture. Refrigerate, covered, until chilled.
Test Kitchen tips