Caramelized Onions and Beets
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 4 pounds whole fresh beets (about 12 medium), trimmed and cleaned
- 6 medium onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup red wine or cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Place beets in a Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil; cover and cook for 35-40 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup cooking liquid; cool slightly. Peel and quarter beets; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onions in butter until tender; add sugar and vinegar. Cover and cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until onions are golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Add the beets, salt, pepper and reserved cooking liquid to skillet; cover and cook for 5 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 95 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 258mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Sep 3, 2016
I'll gladly jump on the 5 star train for this recipe. We loved the sweet yet tangy taste. Will make again and put it on my keeper list!
Jan 14, 2016
What an outstanding way to serve beets! We loved the sweet flavor and I look forward to making this recipe again and again!
Sep 23, 2012
The absolute best beet recipe! I have made this once a week all summer.
Jul 23, 2011
great way to cook beets!!!!