Caramelized Onion & Fig Pizza
This is a sensational variation on traditional pizza. It's creamy, sweet and a little salty, with a buttery crunch from the pine nuts. I like to serve it with mixed baby greens salad and a vinaigrette. —Connie Balbach, Bemidji, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tube (13.8 ounces) refrigerated pizza crust
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup dried figs (about 6 ounces), chopped
- 6 thin slices prosciutto or deli ham, chopped
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 1 cup shredded provolone cheese
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 30-35 minutes or until deep golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and pepper; cook 1 minute longer.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Unroll and press dough onto bottom and up sides of a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake 7-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese, thyme and remaining oil until blended. Spread over crust. Top with caramelized onion, figs, prosciutto and pine nuts; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 6-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
To make ahead: This recipe takes minutes to put together when you caramelize the onion the day before.