Roasted Cabbage & Onions
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min. + standing
- 1 medium head cabbage (about 2 pounds), coarsely chopped
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh tarragon
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 450°. Place cabbage and onions in a large bowl. Drizzle with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Transfer to a shallow roasting pan, spreading evenly. Roast 30-35 minutes or until vegetables are tender and lightly browned, stirring halfway.
- Transfer cabbage mixture to a large bowl. Add chives and tarragon; toss to combine. In a small bowl, whisk dressing ingredients until blended. Drizzle over cabbage mixture; toss to coat. Let stand 10 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cups: 183 calories, 14g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 636mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 2g protein.
Mar 6, 2018
Can I make this without tarragon...one of the few herbs I dislike. would it change the flavour of this recipe too much??
Jan 16, 2017
This is a great recipe, both for taste and ease of preparing. Also a novel idea that is growing more and more popular of using vinaigrette on veggies. Huibbie and I love it!!!
Nov 29, 2016
Was a lovely dish. We really enjoyed it. Thanks for a wonderful recipe. Will be another favourite in our home!
Oct 9, 2016
An easy way to cook cabbage. I cut the recipe down to about 1/3 head of cabbage. I used red cabbage. And traded the onion for an apple.
Jan 14, 2016
Great taste! A definite keeper that will be served often. I am a big fan of roasted vegetables and this did not disappoint. I didn't have fresh tarragon or chives, so I used dried and it was great. In the spring I will definitely try fresh. I only used about 1/2 of the dressing and it was plenty. I already can't wait until I make it again!
Dec 31, 2015
A nice combination of two vegetables I don't usually serve alone. Didn't have fresh chives, but frozen ones did just as well.
Aug 15, 2015
Cutting this recipe down to serve just two, I used 1/4 of a head of cabbage, and 1/2 large onion. I am a big fan of cabbage, and all the variations of slaw and sauerkraut, so this recipe was a huge success. Thanks, Ann, for another keeper.
Aug 13, 2015
I really liked this recipe for using cabbage as a nice side dish. Every oven is different and mine needed much less time in the oven. More like 24 minutes. After tossing with the dressing I also added some canned tuna flakes. Thank you for sharing this recipe.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.