Marinated Barbecued Chuck Roast
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + marinating Grill: 1-1/2 hours
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (1-1/2 pounds), trimmed
- In a small bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. Pour 1/4 cup into a large resealable plastic bag; add roast. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 2-3 hours, turning several times. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade for basting.
- Drain and discard marinade. Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack.
- Place beef over drip pan and grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours or until tender, turning and basting occasionally with reserved marinade. Cut into thin slices.
Nutrition Facts4 ounce-weight: 265 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 472mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 0 fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 fat.
Oct 9, 2018
Mine came out a little tough, but I think it was because I had the heat up too high. Also, my grill has three burners, so I only turned off the middle one and placed the roast in the middle. However, the edges of the meat got a little burned, so next time I will only use one side burner.
May 29, 2016
Feb 6, 2016
Just made this tonight and it was excellent! We used Jack Daniels barrel pieces to smoke the meat during the 1 3/4 hours on the grill. Great recipe!
Nov 26, 2014
Excellent. Cannot believe how tender and perfectly cooked this cheap cut of meat became. Mine was 1.6# and a little over an inch or 1.5" thick and 1hr 45 mins was great. I did sear it first six mins on each side prior to shifting it over to indirect side of grill. And my grill temp stayed around 275-300.
Apr 26, 2008
I used the marinade from this recipe on cheap round steak instead of a roast and it was awesome!