Slow-Cooker Short Ribs
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 6-1/4 hours
- 3 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup beef broth
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 large onions, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups dry red wine or beef broth
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sprinkle ribs with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. In batches, brown ribs on all sides; transfer to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Add carrots, broth, thyme and bay leaf to ribs.
- Add onions to the same skillet; cook and stir over medium heat 8-9 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and tomato paste; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Stir in wine. Bring to a boil; cook 8-10 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Add to slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove ribs and vegetables; keep warm. Transfer cooking juices to a small saucepan; skim fat. Discard thyme and bay leaf. Bring juices to a boil. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Return to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened; press cancel. If desired, sprinkle with additional salt and pepper. Serve with ribs and vegetables.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving (calculated with 1/2 teaspoon salt): 250 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 412mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 20g protein.
Nov 21, 2019
I've never made beef short ribs before so I had no idea what to do with them after purchasing. Found this recipe and I am SO happy I did! Made this yesterday and it was awesome! The only thing I did differently is I added potatoes to the crock pot rather than doing mashed potatoes. Most crock pot recipes tell you to put your veggies in first and then the meat which usually results in mushy veggies. Following your recipe to put the veggies on top of the meat was brillant .... they were cooked to perfection. I can see this becoming a fall/winter staple in my house!
Oct 29, 2019
I’ve been cooking from scratch since I was 14 and now I’m 40. My grandma got me a yr subscription to taste of Home at 14 and I haven’t stopped since. This was the first time making short ribs tho and omg this is off the chain!! My family likes to rate from 1-10 and they said it can’t be rated it’s so good. I seasoned the ribs with steak seasoning, didn’t have tomato pasta so used 5 T tomato sauce, the cornstarch mixture I poured over right away and slow cooked it with the rest. I will make this over and over again.
Jul 22, 2019
I have been lurking in this website for a while yet today I finally decided to make an account so I can testify the greatness of this dish. I made this the first time for today's dinner (we live in my country, Indonesia, my husband is an American) and boy did he beam when he tasted this. He straight up said this is the best dinner I have ever made, ever. My daughter said this is one of the best but too sour for her liking but that it still taste really good (I used one cup of apple cider vinegar one cup of broth to replace the dry red wine). They do want this to be in our staple menu at least twice a month. Thank you Taste of Home! Will definitely come to this site more often to teach me how to enhance my cooking skills in Western food!
Jul 12, 2019
These are delicious. I didn't have any fresh thyme so I used just a pinch of dried thyme. The onions are sooo good and I like that it is made without potatoes.
Apr 18, 2019
These were so easy to make and absolutely delicious I used the pressure cooker and then added the carrots
Feb 18, 2019
There you are my honey! I made these a few months ago and my husband and I loved them. But for some reason, this recipe did not make it to my file. I tried a different one with less than desirable results. So happy to find this again and I WILL be saving in my favorites!
Feb 4, 2019
This is my second time making this dish. Carolyn the previous comment must be a joker. This dish is full of flavor and spices. Super easy to make and it looks like you worked for hours in the kitchen. This dish looked like a professional chef made it.
Jan 7, 2019
I just made this recipe for my family this evening and they all loved it. Not sure what the previous reviewer was on about. Perhaps her taste buds don’t work because this recipe was full of flavor, rich and well seasoned. I added some baby portabella mushrooms as well, which my husband loved. Will definitely be making this again.
Jan 4, 2019
This is the most boring, bland meal and a big waste of money. I wouldn’t begin to know how to fix it.
Jun 7, 2018
This recipe was a big hit! My husband said that it's in "my top 5"I used the wine in mine and used the whole small can of paste with a little extra water. They fell right off the bones while cooking and the sauce was great on mashed potatoes.