Slow-Cooker Short Ribs
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 6-1/4 hours
- 3 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup beef broth
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 large onions, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups dry red wine or beef broth
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sprinkle ribs with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. In batches, brown ribs on all sides; transfer to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Add carrots, broth, thyme and bay leaf to ribs.
- Add onions to the same skillet; cook and stir over medium heat 8-9 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and tomato paste; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Stir in wine. Bring to a boil; cook 8-10 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Add to slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove ribs and vegetables; keep warm. Transfer cooking juices to a small saucepan; skim fat. Discard thyme and bay leaf. Bring juices to a boil. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Return to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. If desired, sprinkle with additional salt and pepper. Serve with ribs and vegetables.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving (calculated with 1/2 teaspoon salt): 250 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 412mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 20g protein.
Apr 18, 2019
These were so easy to make and absolutely delicious I used the pressure cooker and then added the carrots
Feb 18, 2019
There you are my honey! I made these a few months ago and my husband and I loved them. But for some reason, this recipe did not make it to my file. I tried a different one with less than desirable results. So happy to find this again and I WILL be saving in my favorites!
Feb 4, 2019
This is my second time making this dish. Carolyn the previous comment must be a joker. This dish is full of flavor and spices. Super easy to make and it looks like you worked for hours in the kitchen. This dish looked like a professional chef made it.
Jan 7, 2019
I just made this recipe for my family this evening and they all loved it. Not sure what the previous reviewer was on about. Perhaps her taste buds don’t work because this recipe was full of flavor, rich and well seasoned. I added some baby portabella mushrooms as well, which my husband loved. Will definitely be making this again.
Jan 4, 2019
This is the most boring, bland meal and a big waste of money. I wouldn’t begin to know how to fix it.
Jun 7, 2018
This recipe was a big hit! My husband said that it's in "my top 5"I used the wine in mine and used the whole small can of paste with a little extra water. They fell right off the bones while cooking and the sauce was great on mashed potatoes.
Jan 7, 2018
tender and great flavor
Jan 1, 2018
Oct 7, 2017
Followed the recipe exactly. Would not change a thing. Will be putting this one in my binder of my alltime favorites.
Oct 3, 2017
Wonderful recipe. We loved it and so happy we have leftovers for another meal.