Slow Cooker Short Ribs
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 6-1/4 hours
- 3 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup beef broth
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 large onions, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups dry red wine or beef broth
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sprinkle ribs with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. In batches, brown ribs on all sides; transfer to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Add carrots, broth, thyme and bay leaf to ribs.
- Add onions to the same skillet; cook and stir over medium heat 8-9 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and tomato paste; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Stir in wine. Bring to a boil; cook 8-10 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Add to slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove ribs and vegetables; keep warm. Transfer cooking juices to a small saucepan; skim fat. Discard thyme and bay leaf. Bring juices to a boil. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Return to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. If desired, sprinkle with additional salt and pepper. Serve with ribs and vegetables.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving (calculated with 1/2 teaspoon salt): 250 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 412mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 20g protein.
Jun 7, 2018
This recipe was a big hit! My husband said that it's in "my top 5"I used the wine in mine and used the whole small can of paste with a little extra water. They fell right off the bones while cooking and the sauce was great on mashed potatoes.
Jan 7, 2018
tender and great flavor
Jan 1, 2018
Oct 7, 2017
Followed the recipe exactly. Would not change a thing. Will be putting this one in my binder of my alltime favorites.
Oct 3, 2017
Wonderful recipe. We loved it and so happy we have leftovers for another meal.
Aug 29, 2017
Wow! This is a delicious recipe! This is my first time making short ribs and they turned out perfectly! I used a cup of beef broth and one cup of dry red wine. Excellent flavor! My husband loved it.
Aug 12, 2017
Big hit with the family! Full of flavor. We used country boneless ribs because that's what we had. It was almost like a pot roast. Very tender.
Mar 12, 2017
Made this for Christmas dinner. First time I ever made short ribs. I had to modify the recipe because I was making it at my elderly mother's house and had a change of plans and didn't arrive there until early Christmas afternoon. So made meal in my large pressure cooker instead of slow cooker. Followed early directions but cooked it on high pressure I believe for half an hour. Came out perfect. Tasty and oh so tender. My 91 year old mother who has difficulty chewing most types of meat had no trouble chewing the ribs. Didn't have time to make the potatoes but started the meal with quick tortellini and spinach and white bean soup. (Another TOH recipe.)
Jan 29, 2017
Loved this recipe!! Added a lb of mushrooms! Split beef broth and red wine!!! The best!!!
Jan 29, 2017
The flavor is nothing short of AMAZING!!! I used the cooking red wine in the recipe and it is now one of my favorites!!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.