Contest-Winning Braised Short Ribs
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 4 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 cup beer or beef broth
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- In a shallow dish, combine the flour, salt, paprika and mustard. Add ribs in batches and turn to coat. In a large skillet, brown ribs in oil; drain.
- Place onions in a 5-qt. slow cooker; add ribs. Top with beer and garlic. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove ribs and onions to a serving platter; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Combine flour and water until smooth; gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with ribs.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 281 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 547mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 22g protein.
Nov 19, 2017
Gotta love slow cooker meals, and this one is AMAZING!! Mouth watering and tender. I served this with wide egg noodles for a stick-to-your-ribs meal.
Mar 18, 2017
These were tender, fall apart delicious, and really easy to make. I wasn't sure what kind of beer to use, but landed on blue moon Belgium white beer. I used two bottles of the six pack on 6lbs of ribs. I did double the flour mix to make up for the added ribs and added 1 teaspoon of powder beef bouillon to the flour mix. For the gravy I melted 3 tablespoons of butter then whisked in 3 tablespoons of the flour mix. I the added 2 1/2 cups of the drippings to create the delicious gravy. I served it over the ribs and mashed potatoes. This is easy enough to put into regular rotation and fancy enough to serve to guest and on special occasions.