Smoky Espresso Steak
This juicy steak rubbed with espresso, cocoa and pumpkin pie spice is one of my husband’s favorites. We usually grill it, but broiling works in the chilly months. —Deborah Biggs, Omaha, Nebraska
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons smoked or regular paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound beef flat iron or top sirloin steak (3/4 inch thick)
- Preheat broiler. Mix first seven ingredients; rub over both sides of steak. Place steak on a broiler pan; let stand 10 minutes.
- Broil steak 3-4 in. from heat 4-6 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°); medium-well, 145° Let stand 5 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Facts3 ounces cooked beef: 216 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 661mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 0 fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat.
Originally published as Smoky Espresso Steaks in Simple & Delicious February/March 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.