Smoky Espresso Steak
This juicy steak rubbed with espresso, cocoa and pumpkin pie spice is one of my husband’s favorites. Broiling is a good year-round method, but we love making it on the grill, too. —Deborah Biggs, Omaha, Nebraska
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons smoked or regular paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound beef flat iron or top sirloin steak (3/4 inch thick)
- Preheat broiler. Mix first seven ingredients; rub over both sides of steak. Place steak on a broiler pan; let stand 10 minutes.
- Broil steak 3-4 in. from heat 4-6 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°). Let stand 5 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Facts3 ounces cooked beef: 216 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 661mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 0 fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat.
Originally published as Smoky Espresso Steaks in Simple & Delicious February/March 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.