Best Ever Roast Beef
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 7 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (4 pounds), trimmed
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1-1/3 cups plus 3 tablespoons water, divided
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed French onion soup
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Cut roast in half. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker; add onion and 1-1/3 cups water. In a small bowl, combine the soup, brown sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, ginger and pepper; pour over top. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat to a serving platter and keep warm. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer to a small saucepan. Bring liquid to a boil. Combine cornstarch and remaining water until smooth; gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with roast.
Nutrition Facts5 ounces cooked beef with 1/2 cup gravy: 718 calories, 29g fat (11g saturated fat), 199mg cholesterol, 1056mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 1g fiber), 62g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 12, 2018
This really is the best roast beef ever in a crockpot! Yes it is a sweet gravy but I love the taste. So you can simply cut the brown sugar to 1/2 cup or 3/4 cup instead. I do love the fact that this one has lots of gravy as most recipes don't have enough! Great over mash potatoes. I like to use a boneless cross rib roast in this recipe as it "slices" better like a roast that was cooked in the oven instead of falling apart and shredding. It is very tender. I cooked a 3 lb. roast on low for 8 hours. I use any left over gravy as a soup base as the taste is soooooooo good!
May 6, 2015
This was just ok. We didn't even eat the leftovers. I will use a different recipe next time. It was a little too sweet for me for sure.
Sep 16, 2012
I wish I had read the reviews first; it was very sweet. I will cut the brown sugar next time. However, it was very tasty and tender, and my kids ate every last bite. Even my husband who doesn't care much for traditional roast beef liked this very much.
Mar 26, 2012
Since I don't like French Onion Soup I just used beef broth. It was good. Not the best ever but still really good.
Mar 25, 2012
This was NOt the best ever roast beef. It was good, but the gravy was too sweet. I followed directions exactly, but I think 1 cup of brown sugar was just too much. If I make this again, I will definitely at least half the sugar. I had to add salt to cut some of the sweetness. The meat was tender, though, and it did make quite a bit of gravy.
Mar 16, 2012
Good but not great. Too sweet for my liking, but the meat was tender.
Mar 15, 2012
This was good but not great. I might make it again, but there are other roast beef recipes I like better and that my family likes better. I felt like the flavors could be stronger, which surprises me because I thought the soy sauce and ginger would come through more. I did add mushrooms in addition to the onion.