Basic Roast Beef
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Bake: 3-1/2 hours
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast ( about 3-1/2 pounds)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups water
- Place beef, fat side up, on rack in a roasting pan. Season with salt and pepper; top with onion slices. Add enough water to pan to cover the bottom. Bake at 350° for 3-1/2 hours or until tender. For gravy, mix flour with water; stir into pan drippings, cooking over medium heat until gravy has thickened.
- First Day: Pot Roast. Place peeled carrots and halved peeled potatoes in with the roast during the last 1-1/2 hours of cooking.
- Second Day: Sweet-and-Sour Beef. Heat chunks of leftover beef in sweet-and-sour sauce and serve over cooked noodles. To make sauce, saute 1/2 cup chopped celery and 1/4 cup chopped onion in 2 tablespoons butter until tender. Stir in 1 tablespoon flour. Add 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup vinegar and 1/4 cup water. Stir until slightly thickened.
- Third Day: Beef Stew. Heat gravy and chunks of beef in a pan, along with leftover potatoes and carrots.
- Fourth Day: Beef over Rice. Heat leftover beef and gravy and serve over cooked rice.
- Fifth Day: Meat Pie. Place leftover meat chunks, gravy, peas and carrots in pie plate. Top with you favorite pie crust or biscuits. Bake at 350° for 30-45 minutes or until crust is golden.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 25, 2016
Excellent recipe; I probably would cook it just a little less than the time listed...I also made the Day 2 sweet and sour beef and that was also very good and very easy.
Feb 23, 2015
Good basic recipe.
Nov 3, 2013
Simple to make, came out perfect. Highly recommend.
Dec 24, 2012
this is a good and simple recipe. I use garlic powder also and 2 bay leaves. Instead of flour for the gravy, I use cornstarch. No lumps in the gravy that way.