Herb Roasted Root Vegetables
Here's a simple-to-fix side that is perfect for a festive dinner. It looks beautiful with any entree. Roasting brings out the vegetables' natural sweetness. —Deirdre Cox, Kansas City, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 large potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium carrots, halved lengthwise and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium parsnip, peeled, halved lengthwise and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 small turnip, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 pound kohlrabi, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 6 large shallots, halved
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 fresh thyme sprigs
- 6 fresh rosemary sprigs
- Preheat oven to 425°. Place first seven ingredients in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook for 6-8 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain.
- Transfer vegetables to a large bowl. Combine oil, pepper and salt; drizzle over vegetables and toss to coat. Divide mixture between two greased 15x10x1-in. baking pans; arrange herb sprigs over vegetables.
- Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
Originally published as Roast Root Vegetables w/Herbs in Country Woman December/January 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.