Bohemian Beef Dinner
When I was growing up, one of my favorite things to do was to help my mother in the kitchen while she prepared traditional Czech dishes like this. It's a savory stick-to-your-ribs meal with beef and sauerkraut covered in a creamy sauce. —Carl & Isobel Wanasek, Rogers, Arkansas
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 2 hours
- 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- Additional paprika
- In a bowl or dish, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add beef and toss to coat. In a Dutch oven, brown the beef in oil in batches; drain. Add the onions, garlic, dill, caraway, paprika and water.
- Cover and simmer for 2 hours or until meat is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in sour cream; heat through but do not boil. Heat sauerkraut; drain and spoon onto a serving platter. Top with the beef mixture. Sprinkle with paprika.