Holiday Beef Bourguignon
When we married four decades ago, I found this bourguignon recipe in a French cookbook. My husband and I still serve it for very special occasions. —Lyn Robitaille, East Hartland, Connecticut
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 2-1/2 hours
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (about 4 pounds), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-1/2 cups Burgundy wine or beef broth
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley or 4 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 package (14.4 ounces) frozen pearl onions
- 3 bacon strips, chopped
- 8 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound medium fresh mushrooms, stems removed
- Hot cooked egg noodles
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a shallow bowl, mix flour and 1 teaspoon salt. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and toss to coat; shake off excess.
- In an ovenproof Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Brown beef in batches, adding additional oil as necessary. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in broth, parsley, bay leaves and remaining salt. Return beef to pan. Bring to a boil. Bake, covered, 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook onions and bacon over medium-high heat 10-12 minutes or until bacon is crisp, stirring occasionally.
- Remove stew from oven. Using a slotted spoon, transfer onion mixture to stew; stir in thyme, tomato paste and pepper. Return to oven; bake, covered, 30-45 minutes longer or until beef and onions are tender.
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until tender.
- Remove bay leaves and thyme sprigs from stew. Stir in mushrooms. Serve stew with egg noodles.
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without egg noodles): 407 calories, 25g fat (9g saturated fat), 111mg cholesterol, 657mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 33g protein.
Originally published as Beef Bourgourgnonne in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.