Special Occasion Beef Bourguignon
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 2 hours
- 4 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 beef sirloin tip roast (2 pounds), cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes and patted dry
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 pound medium fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 8 ounces uncooked egg noodles
- Minced fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium-low heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon, reserving drippings; drain on paper towels.
- In batches, brown beef in drippings over medium-high heat; remove from pan. Toss with flour, salt and pepper.
- In same pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat; saute onions, carrots and mushrooms until onions are tender, 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and tomato paste; cook and stir 1 minute. Add wine and stock, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Add herbs, bacon and beef; bring to a boil.
- Transfer to oven; bake, covered, until meat is tender, 2 to 2-1/4 hours. Remove bay leaves.
- To serve, cook noodles according to package directions; drain. Serve stew with noodles; sprinkle with parsley. Freeze option: Freeze cooled stew in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little stock or broth if necessary.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup stew with 2/3 cup noodles: 422 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 105mg cholesterol, 357mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 31g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 fat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Apr 19, 2018
I used stewing meat instead of cutting up a sirloin roast and added more bacon. I also added 2 tablespoons of tomato paste to make the broth thicker. It was delicious.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.