Slow-Simmered Burgundy Beef Stew
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 1-3/4 hours
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat (1-1/4-inch pieces)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 to 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup Burgundy wine or beef stock
- 3 medium potatoes (about 1-1/3 pounds), peeled and quartered
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, halved
- 1 medium onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Additional water, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Toss beef with flour and salt to coat lightly; shake off excess. In an ovenproof Dutch oven, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Brown beef in batches, adding additional oil as needed. Remove from pan.
- Add bouillon, herbs, 2 cups water and wine to same pan; bring to a boil, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Add beef; return to a boil. Transfer to oven; bake, covered, 1 hour.
- Stir in vegetables and, if desired, thin with additional water. Bake, covered, until beef and vegetables are tender, 45-60 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 419 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 106mg cholesterol, 949mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 37g protein.
Feb 29, 2020
Delicious. I followed the recipe as written. I only wish there was a slow cooker version.
Jan 13, 2020
This stew was delicious! Added a little extra meat, bumping up some ingredients, used half wine, half beef stock, and made some garlic bread. Will definitely make again.
Jan 3, 2019
Why would I put italian seasoning in beef stew....I added garlic and a couple bay leaves
Oct 12, 2018
This recipe was ok. While it was cooking, my house smelled like I was making stuffing, which made me so hungry. I used a chuck roast instead of stew meat because stew meat is expensive and well, I own knives and can cut the meat up myself. I also used a whole can of beef stock (14oz) instead of just a cup and just decreased the amount of water. And I kind of didn't read all of the directions before starting to cook this and didn't have 2 hours to cook so I did end up throwing all the veggies in together to cook all at once and it turned out just fine and still had ok flavor.
Jun 24, 2018
Looks good but I might suggest rather than grocery store stew meat, buy a chuck roast and cut it up. It has more flavor. Also I use 32 oz. low sodium beef rin carton and add at least 2-3 bay leaves. Same way I make a delicious beef stroganoff.
Mar 5, 2018
very easyonly difference we used a stout beer instead of wine and added some mixed vegetables otherwise great recipe
Feb 27, 2018
So easy! Made this exact, other than omitting bouillon, substituted beef broth because of personal preference. Used my cast iron dutch oven, meat & veggies were so tender and flavorful. Will definitely add to my recipe box. Thank You Mary Lou.
Jan 8, 2018
I use 1 can of SWANSON's Beef Broth not bouillon which is loaded with salt, MSG, and artificial taste. (That way no need for water also)
Jan 8, 2018
Made this for Halloween evening in 2017. It was the bomb!!! Tripled the recipe since we had friends over and not a spoonful was left in the pot. Use the exact ingredients and follow the directions and you won't be disappointed.