- 3 pounds beef stew meat
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 1-1/2 cups dry red wine or additional beef broth, divided
- 3/4 pound medium fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 thick-sliced bacon strip, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons Italian tomato paste
- Hot cooked egg noodles
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. In a large skillet coated with cooking spray, brown beef in batches. Remove with a slotted spoon to a 4- or 5-qt slow cooker. Add flour; toss to coat. Add broth and 1 cup wine.
- In the same skillet, add the mushrooms, onion, carrots and bacon; cook and stir over medium heat until carrots are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add remaining wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan; stir in tomato paste. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low until beef is tender, 8-10 hours. Serve with noodles.
1-1/2 cups: 428 calories, 20g fat (7g saturated fat), 145mg cholesterol, 843mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 47g protein.