Wintertime Beef Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 55 min.
Makes8 servings (3-1/4 quarts)
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 4 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups reduced-sodium tomato juice
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium beef bouillon granules
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, celery, onion, green pepper and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the water, tomato juice, tomatoes, tomato sauce, bouillon, chili powder and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in kidney beans and cabbage; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook 12-15 minutes longer or until cabbage is tender.
Nutrition Facts1-2/3 cups: 238 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 703mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 8g fiber), 20g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 25, 2019
Really enjoyed this. I was worried about adding the cabbage, but so glad i did, as it was great. Will make again.
Jan 15, 2016
Satisfying - even better as leftovers! I didn't change anything in the recipe and it was yummy!
Feb 10, 2013
Excellent soup. I didn't want to use 1 1/2 cans of the tomato juice and only half of my 15 oz tomato sauce so I just used one 11 oz can of tomato and a 15 oz can of tomato sauce instead. It turned out perfectly. I also added a little bit of fresh basil. Will be making this again!
Feb 7, 2013
it was very good added two potatoes
Nov 8, 2012
This was a excellent dinner soup! It's so hearty, almost like a stew, especially the leftovers that thicken up a bit. It made enough to feed 3 adults and 2 kids for 2 meals. I used the bagged shredded 3-color slaw for the chopped cabbage for convenience, and I added that and the beans at the same time as the other stuff instead of at the end because I like my beans and veggies cooked soft instead of crisp-tender. My whole family loved this, even my 4 year old, who gobbled it up! I served it with shredded cheddar on top and homemade dinner rolls. Also, I used regular tomato juice (not reduced sodium) and then omitted the added salt instead. Very yummy!
Jan 24, 2012
I substitute ground turkey. Makes a lot and I can share with friends.
Feb 27, 2011
Very good. I forgot the beans though and added carrots.
Feb 3, 2011
Perfect for a cold winter night.
Nov 12, 2010
In order to lower the amt of sodium, I'd omit the beef bouillon and replace it with 2 to 4 cups of beef broth. I'll have to prepare this and will report how it comes out. YZazueta, Riverside, CA
Jan 23, 2010
This was ok. I'll try to add some beans or corn or something next time. It was lacking something.