Weekday Beef Stew
Beef stew capped with flaky puff pastry adds a little surprise and joy to the weeknight menu. Make a salad and call your lucky companions to the table. —Daniel Anderson, Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 package (15 ounces) refrigerated beef roast au jus
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen vegetables for stew
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1-1/4 cups water
- Preheat oven to 400°. Unfold puff pastry. Using a 4-in. round cookie cutter, cut out four circles. Place 2 in. apart on a greased baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, 14-16 minutes.
- Meanwhile, shred beef with two forks; transfer to a large saucepan. Add tomatoes, vegetables and pepper; bring to a boil. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into beef mixture. Return to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes.
- Ladle stew into four bowls; top each with a pastry round.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups with 1 pastry round: 604 calories, 25g fat (8g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 960mg sodium, 65g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 9g fiber), 32g protein.
Originally published as Beef Stew in Taste of Home December 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.