Hearty Busy-Day Stew
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 7-1/2 hours
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat
- 1-1/2 pounds potatoes (about 3 medium), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 2-1/2 cups fresh baby carrots (about 12 ounces)
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- In a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker, combine the first ten ingredients. Cook, covered, on low 7-9 hours or until beef and vegetables are tender.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into stew. Cook, covered, on high 30-45 minutes longer or until stew is slightly thickened.
Nutrition Facts1-3/4 cups: 303 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 986mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 25g protein.
Oct 31, 2016
We thought it was pretty bland. After its full cook time, I threw in 2 bay leaves and about a tablespoon more taco mix and set it on high for an hour, but it didn't save it. :(
Oct 13, 2016
My family loved this tasty, tender beef stew. I doubled the recipe, used a whole packet of Taco seasoning, & sliced the carrots. I didn't have room in the crockpot for the potatoes, so I served them as a side dish, boiled, cut into chunks, with butter and parsley. Excellent recipe!
Oct 1, 2015
Wow, this stew is amazing! This will now be my go to recipe for beef stew. I made a few changes to the recipe, I added an entire packet of taco seasoning, I used 2 cans of diced tomatoes (one drained, the other undrained) instead of one can and one tomato, I used 2 beef bouillon cubes and 2 C of water instead of a can of broth, for the potatoes, I used a 1.5 lb bag of baby Yukon potatoes cut into bite sized pieces, I also I cut the baby carrots in half. It was done in my crockpot at 5.5 hrs and then I added the cornstarch mixture for an additional 30 mins as instructed.
May 29, 2015
Very good--even 11 year old picky eater liked it. Flavor better 2nd and 3rd days! Makes a lot, so should feed a hungry family. It's a keeper and the taco seasoning is not noticeable, just a great flavor that blends.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.