Weeknight Beef Skillet
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 3 cups uncooked yolk-free whole wheat noodles
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sugar, optional
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables, thawed and drained
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- Cook noodles according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook beef and pepper over medium heat 5-7 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain.
- Add tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, Italian seasoning and, if desired, sugar to beef mixture; bring to a boil. Stir in vegetables; heat through. Serve with noodles; sprinkle with parsley.
Freeze option: Do not cook noodles. Freeze cooled meat mixture in a freezer container. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Cook noodles according to package directions. Place meat mixture in a large saucepan; heat through, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Serve as directed.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups beef mixture with 3/4 cup noodles : 400 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 638mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 11g fiber), 31g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jan 22, 2017
Good recipe except too much WS and sugar. WS is good with just a few drops. If you mix the sugar with the beef while cooking it, the beef will caramelize nicely and add a lot of flavor to this dish. : )
Aug 21, 2016
ICK! The Worcestershire is way to strong. Doctored it up with a can of tomatoes with basil and oregano and then it was eatable.
Feb 16, 2011
Did not care for this recipe.
Jul 14, 2010
This is a good recipe. I will adjust the sugar next time I make it. 2 Tbsp did make it very sweet. My husband definately noticed the sugar. I don't care for green pepper so I substitued chopped onion and used a country trio vege consisting of corn, carrots and green beans. I had all ingredients on hand already so I was pleased I didn't have to run out to the store.
May 7, 2010
forgot to mention I left out the sugar and salt.
May 7, 2010
A recipe shouldn't be rated low b/c it isn't "special". This recipe was excellent and perfect for a quick week night dinner. I added onion & a can of diced tomatoes & 2 cloves of garlic.
Dec 3, 2009
This wasn't bad, it just wasn't anything special.
Nov 21, 2009
Not a bad recipe, but it needs some tweaking, unless you like your sauce really sweet!