Summer Breakfast Skillet
Sizzle up spicy chorizo, veggies and eggs for a breakfast that keeps you going all morning. If I want something handheld, I turn it into tacos. —Andrea Rivera, Westbury, New York
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1/2 pound fresh chorizo or bulk spicy pork sausage
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 small zucchini, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook chorizo, peppers and onion over medium heat 4-6 minutes or until chorizo is cooked through, breaking chorizo into crumbles; drain. Stir in tomatoes, zucchini, garlic and paprika; cook, covered, 5-7 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.
- With back of spoon, make four wells in vegetable mixture; break an egg into each well. Sprinkle eggs with salt and pepper. Cook, covered, 4-6 minutes or until egg whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard.
- Remove from heat; sprinkle with cheese. Let stand, covered, 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 399 calories, 27g fat (10g saturated fat), 250mg cholesterol, 1012mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 24g protein.
Originally published as Chorizo with Vegetables and Eggs in Simple & Delicious June/July 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.