Rainbow Vegetable Skillet
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium red onion, cut into wedges
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups grape tomatoes
- Cut squash in half; discard seeds. Place cut side down in a microwave-safe dish; add 1/2 in. water. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 10-12 minutes or until almost tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the butter, brown sugar, chili powder, cilantro, salt, pepper and cinnamon; set aside. When squash is cool enough to handle, peel and discard rind. Cut flesh into 1/2-in. pieces.
- In a large skillet, saute peppers and onion in oil until tender. Add tomatoes and squash; heat through. Transfer to a large bowl; add butter mixture and toss to coat.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Land O'Lakes light stick butter.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 106 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 322mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Dec 26, 2017
Quick and tasty
Feb 14, 2016
Colorful and tasty! I steamed the squash on the stovetop and it was thoroughly cooked. I also used some stir-in paste cilantro instead of fresh, but it didn't make a difference.Next time I might try adding some chicken or pork for a main dish.
Jul 19, 2015
This was way too sweet, which gave it an unusual taste.
Jun 7, 2015
EXCELLENT RECIPE!!My family is very hard to please, and they just loved this dish!! Definitely going to serve this at special summer dinners!
Oct 25, 2009
I needed to cook the squash a little longer until it was almost tender; otherwise I made it like the recipe. Attractive and tasty!
Oct 18, 2009
i just tried this recipe and everyone loved it. I don't like cilantro so i added parsley instead. Great recipe!!!