Breakfast Pizza Skillet
I found the recipe for this hearty stovetop dish several years ago and changed it to fit our tastes. When I served it at a Christmas brunch, it was an instant hit. —Marilyn Hash, Enumclaw, Washington
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 10 min.
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 5 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream and salsa, optional
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink. Add the potatoes, onion, green pepper, salt and pepper. Cook over medium-high heat for 18-20 minutes or until the potatoes are browned.
- Stir in mushrooms. Pour eggs over the potato mixture. Arrange tomato slices on top. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 10-15 minutes or until eggs are completely set (do not stir). Serve with sour cream and salsa if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 445 calories, 33g fat (14g saturated fat), 219mg cholesterol, 873mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 21g protein.
Originally published as Breakfast Pizza Skillet in Quick Cooking July/August 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.