Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 6 bacon strips
- 4 medium potatoes, thinly sliced
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound fully cooked Polish sausage
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towels, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet. Add next five ingredients to drippings. Reduce heat to medium; cook, covered, stirring frequently, until vegetables are crisp-tender, 10-15 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cut sausage diagonally into 1/2-in. slices; place on top of vegetables. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes. Crumble bacon; sprinkle on top.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 382 calories, 25g fat (10g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 707mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 12g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 7, 2018
My husband and I did not care for this - it was very bland, and the different ingredients did not "blend" together. Because I was concerned that some vegetables might be overdone and some underdone, I cooked them all separately according to our taste. I fried the potatoes and onions (and added some garlic) and at the same time I boiled the broccoli according to package directions. I steamed the carrots and celery, and then just combined everything, putting the sausage pieces on top as directed. It didn't taste bad, just not good. The broccoli seemed out of place and it was too dry. At the end I added about 1/2 cup of chicken broth, to help "steam" the sausage and warm it through.
Nov 22, 2013
This sounds delicious . I like vegetables in meals . I saved this recipe for later because I just made a big pot of chili . This will be the next meal after my chili is gone .