Santa Fe Skillet
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 package (6 ounces) four-cheese corkscrew pasta mix
- 2 cups salsa
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream, optional
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir the pasta, contents of seasoning packet, salsa, water, chili powder, salt and cayenne into the skillet.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until pasta is tender, about 15 minutes, adding more water if necessary. Stir in tomatoes; sprinkle with olives and cheese. Cover and simmer until heated through, 3-4 minutes. Serve with sour cream if desired.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Pasta Roni mix.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 287 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 1061mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 28, 2014
I thought this was very good. I changed it a little because we dontcare for spicey food. I used taco seasoning instead of chilli powder. DeleatedtheCheyenne pepper and added a can of fiesta corn.i served tortilla chips with it and it made an easy weeknight supper
May 17, 2012
I make this with ground venison, use kraft spiral mac and cheese, and change the diced tomatoes to Ro*tel, original. Spices it up real nice. And I like spicey.
May 7, 2012
It was ok. A little to salty for our tastes.
Jun 29, 2011
It was too spicey for our taste. Maybe just half of the salsa and no chili powder would be a good starting place.
Mar 10, 2011
The sodium content of this is about 1/2 of a whole day's recommended allowance. Use low or no-sodium diced tomatoes out the 1/2 tsp salt, low fat cheese & sour cream will go a long way to making this a healthier meal.
Sep 24, 2010
I make this for a bunch of US Navy Vets that hate Hamburger Helper and love this! All I changed was to heat it up a little more!
May 5, 2010
Tasty. I used Hamberger Helper Four Cheese Italian.
Apr 6, 2010
this was wonderful. My picky eater went back for 2nds & my husband made me write the recipe down so that I'd make it again.
Mar 21, 2010
This was very easy and quite yummy! The magazine stated that the Pasta Roni four-cheese corkscrew pasta mix was used in the testing kitchen but my local store did not carry that variety. I used Velveeta rotini and cheese. I was worried that the recipe would not turn out because the Velveeta product came with a packet of cheese rather than a seasoning packet. No worries! It still turned out great. This will remain in my recipe box for sure!