Beef Barley Skillet
This versatile dish goes together fast since it's made with quick-cooking barley. You can make it with ground turkey or chicken, and any color bell pepper that you have on hand. —Irene Tetreault, South Hadley, Massachusetts
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Chopped parsley, optional
- In a large skillet, cook beef, onion, celery and green pepper over medium-high heat until beef is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, breaking up beef into crumbles, 5-7 minutes; drain. Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, until barley is tender, 5-10 minutes. If desired, top with chopped parsley.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 362 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 707mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 8g fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Beef(or Turkey) Barley Skillet in Simple & Delicious October/November 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.