Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 1 hour + standing
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 envelope spaghetti sauce mix
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups fat-free cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 uncooked lasagna noodles
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, water, tomato paste and spaghetti sauce mix. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, combine the egg, cottage cheese and Parmesan cheese. Spread 2 cups meat sauce in a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with three noodles, half of the cottage cheese mixture and half of the remaining meat sauce. Repeat layers.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Uncover; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 280 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 804mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch.
Oct 12, 2017
This recipe is delicious, without the hefty calorie count of traditional lasagna. I had not made it in sometime but, with the cooler weather setting in, I had a hankering for a pasta dish. To me, 30 minutes or less qualifies as an easy weeknight meal. This is an easy weeknight dinner when I prepare it for Sunday and we have leftovers on Tuesday. It is worth the time but the name is misleading. I use low sodium cottage cheese and crushed tomatoes to lighten up on the sodium a bit. With a side salad, this is healthier comfort food at its best.
Dec 30, 2014
Fun to make, but more time-consuming than advertised.I lacked spagetti sauce mix, and so i dumped in some spices (paprika, garlic powder, sea salt, basil, oregano) and some extra spagetti sauce that I had... not the best idea, since the sauce was of a thinner consistency than I would have liked. If you run into the same problem, I suggest that you replace the water with spagetti sauce instead.The outcome was good, but I probably would search for another recipe to experiment with...
Aug 20, 2014
This is a great, tasty and quick to prepare lasagna. I added a dash of crushed red pepper flakes to give a bit of zip to the sauce but other than that this, as my husband would say is a "rock solid meal". I will be preparing this in the near future!
Aug 18, 2014
Good, fast and easy. I added green pepper. Next time, I will add spinach too.
Jul 17, 2014
Takes a couple of hours total, so not a quick weekday meal, but good regardless. Would make again and try with a whole-grain noodle....I wonder if it would get done without being pre-cooked.
May 30, 2014
I didn't have the spaghetti sauce mix,so I substituted 1 3/4 jar spaghetti sauce in place of the water. As another reviewer suggested, I added garlic to the meat sauce and Italian seasoning to the cottage cheese. Next time I will use turkey instead of ground beef.It was time consuming, but I made It on a Friday nite, so it didn't matter. Next time I will make the sauce the night before. It was very good. Hubby really liked it,and hecan be really picky!!
Dec 24, 2013
very good, very moist, yummy! everyone loves!
Nov 22, 2013
Still a lengthy time cook for a weekday meal, but it satisfied the boys. I prefer traditional lasagna myself.
Nov 17, 2013
My first time making lasagna and it turned out great! Seemed like a lot of sauce but it turned out well and had good flavor. Next time i might try canned spaghetti sauce just for ease and comparison. I didn't really like making the sauce, kind of a hassle.
Oct 1, 2013
This was a great and easy Lasagna. I loved not having to precook noodles. With all the sauce the noodles come out just right. Flavors were tasty without being too spicy. This will be one of my new favorites. Thanks for the recipe!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.