Wintertime Braised Beef Stew
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 2 hours
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 2 pounds boneless beef sirloin steak or chuck roast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Montreal steak seasoning
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup dry red wine or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons red currant jelly
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 fresh oregano sprigs
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Toss beef with flour and steak seasoning.
- In an ovenproof Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Brown beef in batches; remove with a slotted spoon.
- In same pan, heat remaining oil over medium heat. Add onion, celery, parsnips and carrots; cook and stir until onion is tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomatoes, wine, jelly, bay leaves, oregano and beef; bring to a boil.
- Bake, covered, 1-1/2 hours. Stir in beans; bake, covered, 30-40 minutes longer or until beef and vegetables are tender. Remove bay leaves and oregano sprigs. If desired, sprinkle with parsley.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled stew in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with McCormick’s Montreal Steak Seasoning. Look for it in the spice aisle.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 310 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 373mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 5g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 26, 2018
I just made this and it was really good. My husband is not a big potato fan and he said this was a "do over" and be sure to save it in our recipe box. I cooked it on the stove top and it came out fine.
Nov 25, 2018
Made this stew, but with some changes. I couldnand#039;t find red currant jelly so had to leave out. My family doesnand#039;t like parsnips, so used potatoes instead. I also added some extra beef stock. Otherwise made as written. Yummy recipe. I will make it again.
Dec 23, 2017
I just made this stew. I didn’t make any changes to the recipe. It was excellent and will be making again. Thanks for the recipe!
Jan 29, 2017
This was wonderful. I didn't have the currant jelly but I don't think I missed anything. So tasty. Definitely will make this again. Need to get some containers to put some of this in my freezer so I can have it later. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who like Beet Stew. This is the best.
Jan 16, 2017
This is THE BEST STEW. . . . EVER. Do not understand how cpldutch can say it was "blah"!!! It couldn't be further from blah!! I am thinking she may not have followed the recipe correctly. If parsnips didn't work for her, she should try potatoes.My son, who has never liked stew, thought this was really, really good and he asked for the recipe to fix at his house. Had it for the first time last night and looking forward to finishing it up tonight! Will definitely be making again and again.
Feb 20, 2016
My daughter was convinced she hated stew...until she at this!
Feb 16, 2016
Very tasty! I chose to leave out the jelly since it was optional, and used the beef broth option. It was very good. The parsnips were not as tasty as I'd hoped, so I'll use potatoes next time (my husband prefers them)... but I WILL be making this one again. Thanks!
Feb 6, 2016
What a waste of time and ingredients. Used all ingredients, chuck roast instead of sirloin, (dodged that bullet) red currant jelly, etc. Just blah. Over powered by parsnip flavor even used less. Thank goodness that it did not make a lot!!!
Dec 29, 2015
Fantastic!!! I'm a mom of some terrible picky eaters including my husband. They all like different things and it is a huge challenge to have them all like the same thing. But, I refuse to make separate meals. This stew was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! I followed everything step by step. I do not like the ones that replace this for that. Not cool. It confuses the ones that just wanna make the recipe for how it is. And, it was phenomenal. My son, daughter, husband and me devoured it in one sitting. No leftovers. We are still wanting more. Thank you so much! This recipe is beyond 5 stars! Happy New Year's!!!
Dec 16, 2015
This is a very good stew, i followed the recipe except red current jam could not find anywhere. The house smelled wonderful for hours. Only thing i will change next time is adding more liquid it turned out very thick. Thank you for recipe